Home Forums Travel Stories + Publish Stories

Fort with the baseless walls. - Rohtas fort

Rohtas Fort is a 16th-century fortress located near the city of Jhelum in the Pakistani province of Punjab.The fortress was built during the reign of Sher Shah Suri between 1541 and 1548. The fort was also designed to suppress the local Gakhar tribes of the Potohar region. The Gakhar tribes were allies of the Mughal Empire, and refused to recognize the suzerainty of Sher Shah Suri. The fort is one of the largest and most formidable in the subcontinent.

4 Likes

I have seen a lot of forts and historic places but havent seen so beautiful, huge, perfectly crafted and well planned like these two beauties, one derawar fort and second is Rohtas fort.

1 Like

I had been there, enjoyed every bit of moment and I want to appreciate its construction. I wonder haw it is still standing when its walls are built without any foundations.

People who realize the worth of heritage please get together, make a private trust to look after and reinstate the glory of the rare monuments. Come forward!.. I really want Agha Khan trust to work on the renovation of this fort, the way they are doing in Lahore Fort. Their work their is remarkable and are now surgeon at doing their job.

There is no doubt that the Fort is a Masterpiece of Afghan, Iranian and Indian Architecture and it influenced Britain and other nations’ architect. No wonder It is a lovely place indeed. Recently visited. A place to get lost in. Each corner each wall speaks to you as if they want to tell long stories. Strategically an awsome defensive as well as attacking fort.