Home Forums Travel Stories + Publish Stories

Chaukhandi tombs in Karachi

The “Chaukhandi” Sindhi “tombs” form an early Islamic cemetery situated 29 km (18 mi) east of Karachi, in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The tombs are notable for their elaborate sandstone carvings. The tombs are similar in style to the elaborate tombs at the Makli Necropolisnear Thatta, and are built in the funerary architectural style typical of lower Sindh.

3 Likes

We had also visited there and especially the guider/guard man over there is really a nice person, his knowledge should be appreciated.

I know this place and have been there twice. Wonderful piece of work on every grave the carvings on stones are jaw dropping. I dont think anyone will find these beautiful craving on stones in the whole world.

The distinguished tourist and visitors from all around the world must have been amazed to see these centuries old tombs & other cultural heritage sites in Sindh province… I request US consulate who is funding and looking after these cementries, to do something concrete for preservation of these sites…

chukhandi tombs built by jokhio and kalmati baluch tribes.this is a spot where a war was fought between jokhio and kalmati and won by jokhio with heavy losses of thier men.the east part belongs to jokhio whereas west kalmati baluch fighter burried there.

the Chaukhandi Tombs, a remarkable historical site just 30km from central Karachi. The ornately carved tombs offer travellers both a glimpse of the craftsmanship of Sindhi stone-masons in times gone-by, and an insight into the artistic styles that such stone-masons pursued. If you take a visit to Chaukhandi, however, make sure you bring a hat, suncream and sun-glasses - during their visit, the team discovered the extreme heat of summer in Sindh!